Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a set of Zunsport grills for my 2014 981 CS. Packaged arrived pretty quickly considering it was coming from across the pond all the way to Cali. Despite FedEx pretty much mangling my box the parts arrived undamaged. After doing searches here and some general reading and youTube checking I decided to do the install.

Granted I should have gone slower, really thought it out and taken a closer look...BUT the thing that threw me and has now led to me having a fairly scuffed intake area is the fact that the instruction images seem to flip flop which side intake they are showing. Even within steps. Take a look at the attached images...

Top right of the first page clearly shows driver side intake...so do most of the images on the back page 2.

However take a look at the Fig 1 image on page 1... it's showing a red arrow that looks like the clip should insert near the center of the car which is what I did. However if you look closer you will realize that the image in Fig 1 is actually mirrored and is in fact the passenger side intake. This is made even less obvious since the image directly below Fig 1 namely Fig 4 does appear to be the driver side still.. see the persons arm and where the fog/running light is. But the rest are mirrored / passenger side I guess? Oops. Now my clip was on the wrong side since I looked at the first picture and didn't realize it was backwards... and it was extremely difficult to remove and scuffed my plastic intake strakes area. :(

Similar shenanigans seems to exist on Page 2 for the Cayman S install as well..for example Figure 1 is the left side again, but figure 2 now appears to be the passenger side and is showing the center intake area next to it.

Automotive exterior Grille Bumper Vehicle Material property
Bumper Vehicle Advertising Car

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future. I'm hoping Zunsport will respond to my customer service request and get me new clips before the show I was hoping to go to this Friday...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They absolutely responded quickly to my request. I should have some clips soon. They also sent me another picture and video to help clarify via email...I am in the middle of that email thread with them to make sure I understand how these install. (time change slows down communication)

Their customer service seems very good, and the quality of the grills themselves is fantastic. I wouldn't want this thread to scare anyone away from Zunsport...quite the opposite. Hopefully I'll get these on my car properly before end of the week. I might try to take some of my own pics to post here later to help anyone in the future.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They absolutely responded quickly to my request. I should have some clips soon. They also sent me another picture and video to help clarify via email...I am in the middle of that email thread with them to make sure I understand how these install. (time change slows down communication)

Their customer service seems very good, and the quality of the grills themselves is fantastic. I wouldn't want this thread to scare anyone away from Zunsport...quite the opposite. Hopefully I'll get these on my car properly before end of the week. I might try to take some of my own pics to post here later to help anyone in the future.
Do you have manual or PDK, sensors or not? Just curious how much commonality there is between our cars (cs manual, no sensors here)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have Zunsport grills on my S with sensors. Overall the fitment is only okay at best for the price point--its not flush or exact. They are kind of a PITA to install and even more difficult to get exact (or as close to it). I had to bend the grills and it took two people to install correctly. I've had mine on for about 2 years now and am fairly content in that they seem to be doing their job.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The upper section on the side radiator grills came loose twice. I eventually gave in and found the thinnest black zip ties and carefully attached the grills. Not going to come loose again.
Last thing I want is for one part to come off at the track.

For the center radiator upgrade, I had to cut the center blank plastic cover into a vertical strip to give room for the center screw to keep the grill from flexing and coming off the car.

Side vent grills worked perfectly.

V6

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@voyager6 thanks for the info...

I got my clips in last night finally... I installed the front L/R intakes this morning minus the top section. Right now I am thinking it looks better without the small top piece. I will try it for a while before I screw those in should I decide to... But the middle part of those front L/R intakes seems like it will easily fall inwards. I was already thinking of zip-tie between it and the bottom one to secure. Did you just zip tie between the middle and lower grills around the divider?

I haven't even opened the center grill package yet to read the instructions...hopefully doing that tonight... I am assuming it has to screw in or something since I don't see how else it would attach...

I will say getting the lower grills in was pretty straightforward once I had the clips in the right spot...helps once I understood the instructions. The bottom seems pretty solid but the middle not so much...the tab behind the light still will let it fall backwards if pushed hard.

@rhythmAddict0 they sent me a handful of extra clips, I only really needed the one. PM me your address and I can mail some to you if you want.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

I got my clips in last night finally... I installed the front L/R intakes this morning minus the top section. Right now I am thinking it looks better without the small top piece. I will try it for a while before I screw those in should I decide to... But the middle part of those front L/R intakes seems like it will easily fall inwards. I was already thinking of zip-tie between it and the bottom one to secure. Did you just zip tie between the middle and lower grills around the divider?

I haven't even opened the center grill package yet to read the instructions...hopefully doing that tonight... I am assuming it has to screw in or something since I don't see how else it would attach...

I will say getting the lower grills in was pretty straightforward once I had the clips in the right spot...helps once I understood the instructions. The bottom seems pretty solid but the middle not so much...the tab behind the light still will let it fall backwards if pushed hard.

@rhythmAddict0 they sent me a handful of extra clips, I only really needed the one. PM me your address and I can mail some to you if you want.
I had trouble initially with those same middle section wanting to fall inward on long drives but found a way to prevent it that is invisible and has held up for over 1 year so far.

Get yourself some 3M heavy duty double sided tape. You can find it at Home Depot or any other big box or hardware store. Its a grey/black rubber like material with a red backing and it will stay put thought rain, washing and anything you throw at it. Cut 3-4 1/2 inch strips and reach through the center opening and stick the strips evenly spaced along the edge of the plastic spars behind the grills. You can leave the red backing on so its easy to place where you want it to be without sticking to you. The tape will make a small ridge on the spars that will prevent the grills from falling inward, and the edge of the grills will completely hide the edge of the tape so you will never know its back there.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Any trick to the center grille install? Seems like it will barely fit or stand in front of the black intake area vs the front side intakes behind the strikes.

i would assume the black insets where the screws gonin would be flush with the intake plastic ... but from what I am seeing there will be several mm of space between them even screwing in. Especially since the top under edge of the porsche plastic has little nubs maybe for license plate stuff. Can't really get the top any closer than outside edge.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Any trick to the center grille install? Seems like it will barely fit or stand in front of the black intake area vs the front side intakes behind the strikes.

i would assume the black insets where the screws gonin would be flush with the intake plastic ... but from what I am seeing there will be several mm of space between them even screwing in. Especially since the top under edge of the porsche plastic has little nubs maybe for license plate stuff. Can't really get the top any closer than outside edge.
My front fits fine now, but you are correct and it may take a bit of flexing the part to flatten it out a bit so the screw reaches the center plastic where is screws in. The biggest issue I had with the center part is the lower edge corners protrude past the edge of the opening a bit out onto the factory splitter. Its not really that noticeable to anyone but us, but will be more noticeable if your build has the splitter painted the same color as the car instead of the black plastic where the black grill will blend in with it.

My main concern there was with pain rub occurring from the vibrations of driving. I had the car wrapped and luckily the splitter was also wrapped so there isnt direct contact with the paint.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Thanks! That is super nice of you. PMing you now!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I finally got this all installed. Center one was a bit lower than I wanted due to the nubs on top and I didn't catch it until after I had screwed in due to using tape to help keep things aligned..it's close but as mentioned will rub on the paint a bit. I probably should have dremeled down the little nubs on the top underside of the car first. Fortunately my car too is wrapped with XPEL so should be ok. Overall it looks good. I haven't decided on the top side grills or not... look wise. I did end up zip-tie -ing the lower and middle front side intakes together. It looks pretty hidden with the Zipties at the outside of the car but it's pretty noticeable in the inwards area because of the angle there. I know some people drilled into the strakes it sounds like to do the zip-tie work... I opted to just go between the middle to lower...so it's tied around the entire strake... small zip tie and black but still noticeable... not exactly what I wanted...but at least I know it's not going anywhere now. Otherwise I seriously suspect the middle grill would fall in when driving or washing.

I'll post a few photos here later.

@RhythmAddict0 I got your info... will send it soon. Just paying it forward...Zunsport sent me the clips via mail so figure I can spare some to you too.

I will say Zunsport was very good with email response and support. The quality of the grills themselves seem pretty good even though there is some bending and fitting to do. However the overall mechanism to lock these and secure them in place is somewhat iffy, especially the middle side intakes. The bottoms work pretty well with the clip. Screws in center we will see. I noticed videos for the 718 seem like they have 5 screws vs the 3 ... so maybe that's an improvement for the newer cars.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are some pics...you can see some scuff on the black from where I had first tried the clip in the wrong area...tho in reality it's not really noticeable unless you get super close. There was more even behind where the grill is. Also this car with 30k miles now isn't exactly perfect anyhow...become more of a 10ft car. My plan is to eventually replace the bumper with a GTS or techart front end.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Automotive design
Car Automotive exterior Vehicle Red Automotive lighting
Red Automotive design Automotive exterior Grille Automotive lighting
Headlamp Automotive lighting Vehicle Grille Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Luxury vehicle

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yes, I went around the top and middle grill with the zip tie and used the divider to hold it all together. I had just enough slop on the tie to rotate the knob/catch of the tie to the rear to be less visible.

The center grill has hooks on each end that hold the grill in. With mine, there was a small screw to go into the center to keep the grill from flexing as the grill can come out if there is to much flexing. The self tapping screw just went into the plastic blank of the cover for the opening. When upgrading to the center radiator, I had to cut the blank into a three inch wide strip, oriented vertically. The piece then is sandwiched between the bumper cover and the grill by the small screw provided by Zunsport. It does not restrict air flow into the radiator and has held up for two years.

My experience may not be the same, as I was an early adopter and the design may have been improved since then.

Overall, I am happy. I have removed the bumper cover twice since then, and each time have taken time to clean out the fronts of the radiators and only small dirt and very, very small gravel that got through the holes in the grills was present, and it wasn't much. It is doing its job, protecting the radiators.

V6

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You did it with the zip ties just as I did. The catch should be rotated behind the grill/divider to make it less obvious.

V6

Here are some pics...you can see some scuff on the black from where I had first tried the clip in the wrong area...tho in reality it's not really noticeable unless you get super close. There was more even behind where the grill is. Also this car with 30k miles now isn't exactly perfect anyhow...become more of a 10ft car. My plan is to eventually replace the bumper with a GTS or techart front end.

View attachment 156346 View attachment 156354 View attachment 156362 View attachment 156370 View attachment 156378

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@voyager6 cool thanks for the confirmation. I have this pretty tight but might try to rotate it more to the back like you say. It's mostly underneath so it's not quite too visible unless staring at it. Ideally I would remove the zip tie that is closer to the center radiator opening as it stands out more...but I feel like it is needed to help keep things in place...

Will see how I feel about all of this once I get the car pulled out of the garage in a few days...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had the front Zunsprort grille set on my '15 BGTS for over a year now. I had a friend who had installed his set a few months earlier help me. He has a lift which made the installation infinitely easier because we could get the front of the car up to eye level making access to all the clip sites much simpler. Because of his experience and the lift, we really did the install quite quickly and relatively easily.

Even thought the install can be a bit tricky if going into it relatively blind, the end result is amazing. Keeping fall leaves out of the air channels / radiator area was a great improvement compared to the fall before. The biggest benefit, however, is the appearance of the car. The look of the front is dramatically improved by adding the grille set. I absolutely love them!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Have any of you guys painted them matte? I'm considering removing repainting and reinstalling not sure I like the shininess.

EDIT: After finally getting my car -out- of the garage I think it looks pretty good as is. Which is probably good since removal would probably be difficult..so going to leave it all.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. I have a 981 CS and ordered the zunsport grills. The instructions for the middle and lower grill is to clip in one end, the end with the clip obviously, and then screw in the other with the provided screws. There is no place to screw it in. It is wide open?? Am I missing something? Are there other clips that I did not get?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.