Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is directed to the casual DIY'er, not the hardcore wrenchers out there. I had enough trouble installing my side grill guards on a 981 Cayman S that I ultimately gave up and got my mechanic to do the install. He actually removed the bumper to do the job and even then, the first time they installed them, one of the clips popped off on the drive home from the shop. They have fixed that but I will wait and see if another clip pops off.

They look great and have a high quality finish but are finicky to fit and install. I see that others did the job in all of about 20 minutes which gave me some encouragement to try the install myself but I found it a challenge.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
As designed for my Cayman S with parking sensors, the middle and lower grill section will not fall outward, but can fall inward into the radiator. I did not like this stock fit. When I took the bumper cover off to put magnets for my drill-less license plate mount, I took the smallest ty-wrap I could find and drilled a very small hole in the cover and zipped up the loose side of the grill piece to ensure that the grills do not fall into the Radiator bays. With parking sensors, there is almost nothing other than friction to hold the center piece in place at the sensor side. The bottom piece has a clip that works OK on one side, but the other side came loose on me. With the zip ties, they are in for good. Pre-Zip tied, I doubt that the grill segments would hold into place on a big rock hit. Now it will.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I first installed mine the fit was so bad I was convinced they were the wrong part. I emailed pictures to Zunsport and they said I had the correct grills. I ended up spending about an hour carefully bending the tabs to get them to fit properly. I used a heat gun to warm up the tabs a bit because I was afraid they would break off with all the adjusting I had to do. The grills really look great but they really need to design some proper mounting hardware.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ordered them last year, didn't like the fit, but a month a ago after grabbing leaves every day, I installed them anyway. Maybe 15 minutes of work, little bending of tabs, but they fit great. You'll have to bend the grills on install to fit properly, that's all. Yes, mine has holes for sensors too. Used this pic to install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
This post is directed to the casual DIY'er, not the hardcore wrenchers out there. I had enough trouble installing my side grill guards on a 981 Cayman S that I ultimately gave up and got my mechanic to do the install. He actually removed the bumper to do the job and even then, the first time they installed them, one of the clips popped off on the drive home from the shop. They have fixed that but I will wait and see if another clip pops off.

They look great and have a high quality finish but are finicky to fit and install. I see that others did the job in all of about 20 minutes which gave me some encouragement to try the install myself but I found it a challenge.

Roger your comments. Not "plug and play" for sure but well worth the effort in the long run and IMHO the look as well.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
As designed for my Cayman S with parking sensors, the middle and lower grill section will not fall outward, but can fall inward into the radiator. I did not like this stock fit. When I took the bumper cover off to put magnets for my drill-less license plate mount, I took the smallest ty-wrap I could find and drilled a very small hole in the cover and zipped up the loose side of the grill piece to ensure that the grills do not fall into the Radiator bays. With parking sensors, there is almost nothing other than friction to hold the center piece in place at the sensor side. The bottom piece has a clip that works OK on one side, but the other side came loose on me. With the zip ties, they are in for good. Pre-Zip tied, I doubt that the grill segments would hold into place on a big rock hit. Now it will.
Voyager--How hard is it to remove the bumper cover? I have a set of the Zunsport grills that are ready to be installed, but I want them installed right the first time. I am a little leery of the clip system. Your method seems much more permanent. I have the GTS, but I imagine that the bumper removal would be similar. Thanks.

Roger your comments. Not "plug and play" for sure but well worth the effort in the long run and IMHO the look as well.
Do you have the grills? If so, did you do something like Voyager and use zip ties?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was a little nervous about tackling these myself but was fortunate to have a good friend passing through (who happens to have his own European auto shop in Canada).. took him about 30 minutes, if that. Very, very pleased - looks finished now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Baffling!!! I put them on my 2014 CS and it took a few minutes and they fit perfectly.
Actually it's not. The GTS is a totally different design, and considerably harder to install.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have them on my BGTS. I had zero issues and the full install took about 30 minutes. It was easy. They are absolutely solid and look great. I am also just a regular DIYer. See my previous threads for pics.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Wow, I missed this one. I wrote up a text-based procedure to remove the bumper cover in a posting here somewhere. I have watched pros do this and they put the car on a lift and pull the front wheels and wheel well liners and from there you have easy access to the wiring harness and headlight washer hose to the bumper cover. No cut up hands.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed these on the front first, due to the exposed condenser. Then I installed them in the rear for aesthetic reasons, I then installed them on the sides to keep debris out. Install time...front 15-20 minutes. Rear 5-10 minutes.sides 2-3 minutes. Zunsport makes a high quality product. I highly recommend them!

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I have them on my BGTS. I had zero issues and the full install took about 30 minutes. It was easy. They are absolutely solid and look great. I am also just a regular DIYer. See my previous threads for pics.
Steve - now that the weather is warming up, almost time to enlist you to help install mine. If you are still up for the challenge... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has there been any update on the fitting to a GTS w/ front parking sensors? I thought the last consensus there was 'uhhhh'. It seems to fine for those without the front sensors.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Zunsport came out with a version that fits GTS models that have the parking sensors. I have had them installed on my car for several months. They are listed on their website. They work great!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Zunsport came out with a version that fits GTS models that have the parking sensors. I have had them installed on my car for several months. They are listed on their website. They work great!
+1. The difference is the angle of one of the clips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts