Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High quality product but instructions are quite poor. There are a few key items you need to be aware of when installing.
-Helps to have 2 people (thanks to jssgranite - a 981CGTS waiter who stopped by to help out and see how to do the install when his time comes!).
- The biggest miss in the instructions is that the grills actually slant a bit from out (at the top) to in (at the bottom) when you install them. Knowing that intended angle will speed your install.
- Tape the visible areas (bottoms) of your trim. Don't worry so much about going in too deep as the grills will cover some of that area. I originally just taped around the mounting points, but it helps to protect the visible flat surfaces.

- For the center grill pay most attention to the bottom corner of the first side that you hook, then emulate that spacing on the other side.
- Your screwdriver work will be to manipulate the hook on either side, ensuring that it grips onto the trim properly.

- For the lower side grill, you need to use one attachable clip for the mounting bracket on the grill that has the hole in it. This grill is a bit easier because you can reach your hand into the above opening to work on the clip. Pay most attention, after lining it up properly, to where the clip must be attached to the trim. The easier method was to attach the clip to the trim first, then slide the mounting bracket with the square hole in it into the clip already adhered to the trim. If you placed the clip wrong, you'll likely break the clip trying to get it off (but they give you spares). I got the first side by 'preloading the clip into the mounting bracket on the grill, then slid it onto the trim...was challenging as it is a tight fit, but eventually got it. Second side would not go, so I attached the clip to the trim first...much easier.

- Last, the upper grill simply has 2 hooks on it. This was the easiest. Ensure one side is hooked, then slip the next side into place and work the hook with a screwdriver a bit to ensure it grasps.

Fitment is superb! Looks great and I really cannot see ever having to remove them.
If you ever do need to remove...it will surely be easier to remove the top outer grill and get a shopvac hose thru that opening then remove the center grill...these are the grills that are adhered with hooks only.
The lower outer grills with the clip would be a beotch to remove...but you should never have to.

Hope this helps

BEFORE

before1.JPG before2.JPG

AFTER
after2.JPG after3.JPG after5.JPG

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks really good. Did you order the "Porsche Cayman 981 GTS - Front Grille Set"?

I read about confusion regarding park sensors vs. no park sensors, but it does not appear that the Zunnsport site distinquishes with respect to the GTS.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
That's interesting that the Zunnsport website does not list a difference for parking sensors or not. I was one of the early adaptors for the CGTS grill guard set and ran into the problem of the upper side sections not fitting. I was told it was because my car had the sensors and the initial design work was on a GTS without the sensors. Maybe they redesigned those pieces to fit both set ups?

I would recommend contacting Zunnsport to confirm. I found them very helpful and responsive.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the following:
I do not have parking sensors. Email or call them per their web site info for the Planet9 discount code and to ensure you order the proper set.

Porsche Cayman 981 GTS - Front Grille Set ZPR56514

·
Registered
474 Posts
Per my conversation with them it's one set with or w/o parking sensors. I have the sensors, installed a set ordered in Feb and no problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Question: I pick my baby up in 4 days and am curious about these grills! About how long did shipping take for you (just to get a rough estimate) and the promotional code...did that help out much?

PS there's a facebook page called "Porsche Cayman GTS" that is comprised of other GTS owners. I think you'd like it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shipping is very fast - maybe 3 days. Promo code is worth it - a good discount.
Good luck ! You will love the car - great setup

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes. I just installed them on my CS. Gotta say I was a little disappointed in their fit. You'll need to bend tabs and adjust them a bit. They look great when installed but if something large hits them, I'm afraid they'll push right through.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I installed on my CGTS. I agree with Monkeyboy's comment on instructions.. and that recognizing that the grill slants inward is the key to fitment.
As far as final fitment, I found the grills to fit very nicely and I have been very satisfied with them since April when I installed them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yes. I just installed them on my CS. Gotta say I was a little disappointed in their fit. You'll need to bend tabs and adjust them a bit. They look great when installed but if something large hits them, I'm afraid they'll push right through.
If something large hits them it will likely damage the bodywork anyway, and if it destroys the grills instead of the radiators, isn't that a win?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I installed mine the other day in about 30 minutes (only because I took my time with tape). Same item as listed above. I don't have parking sensors.

In addition to MonkeyBoy's and others' comments, I can offer the following:

1. Insert the side the instructions call for first.
2. You can get the grills to flex around a vertical axis (so you can get the other end in) by inserting a screwdriver through the mesh and using it as a lever. This works especially well for the outside upper grills.
3. Heed MonkeyBoy's advice on the clip for the lower outside grill. Position the grill in the opening and then reach in through the upper hole and place the clip onto the bumper trim. Then simply pop the grill into the clip.
4. I installed them with about 200 miles on the car and had to vacuum out leaves and pine straw. Already. Drove almost 300 miles since installation and nothing is in there.
5. They look badass and really improve the look of the car!

Some before/after to follow. I tried to get close ups so you can see the angles (top to bottom) of the grills so you know how they should fit.

Overall front. Before are 2 on left, after on right. Lighting wasn't great so the middle pic (before) has a flash.

PC183243.JPG PC183248.JPG PC213256.JPG

Before/After angled from the driver's side. It appears I was not consistent with angle, zoom or lighting but I hope you can get a sense for the overall look and the fitment.

PC183247.JPG PC213250.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: Trev450

·
Registered
146 Posts
Passenger side detail:

Before:

PC183244.JPG

After:

PC213253.JPG PC213255.JPG PC213257.JPG

·
Registered
146 Posts
Driver side detail:

PC213249.JPG PC213250.JPG PC213252.JPG PC213258.JPG

Hope these help!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Are those pictures angled badly, or poor lighting, or such? Those top pieces can't possibly fit that bad in real life, and stay on, can they?

PC213253.JPG PC213249.JPG

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lighting is not great. And the fit on those top pieces is not the greatest, I'll admit. I may take them out and see if I can tweak a bit.
I apologize if I sounded like a prick about them. Not my intent, but it did come out a little harsh. I doubt anybody spends a lot of time studying that part of your car, so if you are happy with it leave them alone, and don't risk any paint damage. I just have to say for the price of those things, they looked pretty bad up close. If they work, that is probably all that matters to most.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have had these grills for two months now and I still cannot figure out how to put them on.

Lower outside: where do I place the very large "hook"? The plastic near the air sensor doesn't have anywhere to put it
- how do I fasten the clips for the lower portion of the grill? Would it be possible to take pictures of how the mesh attaches to the clip, and how the clip attaches to the trim?

Once I get back to my car (after it's done getting fixed in the shop...slid off the road into rocks and damaged the rim/side molding), I'll take a look at the upper grills/center grill/

Any help on this would be awesome! My dealer said it'd be at least $150 to do it for me. I've been so frustrated with this whole set up that I've contemplated just giving it to them.

Cheers,

Brent

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
WOW.. I feel your pain...
The most difficult grill to place is the lower sides... and the "trick" is to angle them to what may seem to be an unnatural angle.. Look at the photos in the replies above.. the "inner lower" side angles rearward.. Here is a photo of "my" installation ---below...

The clip goes behind the rim... the lower catch with the provided clip goes on a lower part of the rim... I know that I'm not explaining it very well...
But, again, for me, the key was the angle.
The center is just a clip in. But to help, I wrapped a zip tie through the grill to act as a handle to help pull the grill into position... then just cut the zip ties and removed. You might want to try this tip for the other grill pieces..
Good luck.. but $150 to install is pretty steep!!
D

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
WOW.. I feel your pain...
The most difficult grill to place is the lower sides... and the "trick" is to angle them to what may seem to be an unnatural angle.. Look at the photos in the replies above.. the "inner lower" side angles rearward.. Here is a photo of "my" installation ---below...

The clip goes behind the rim... the lower catch with the provided clip goes on a lower part of the rim... I know that I'm not explaining it very well...
But, again, for me, the key was the angle.
The center is just a clip in. But to help, I wrapped a zip tie through the grill to act as a handle to help pull the grill into position... then just cut the zip ties and removed. You might want to try this tip for the other grill pieces..
Good luck.. but $150 to install is pretty steep!!
D

Right, the angle is key.

Your upper ones look like they also have a gap on the inside corner but not as severe as mine.

I sent Zunsport an email with my pics and Monkeyboy's pics from above asking what they suggest. Sent on Tuesday 1/5 and have not received a response. Which I find odd as when I inquired about PURCHASING, they responded in less than 24 hours.

Perhaps someone from their shop is monitoring this forum....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts