Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the correct grill set for my 981 CS. It looks good. Installation was what I would term "very fiddly". In fact I was about to give up on the whole thing when it popped in place. I have to admit it does look good and I'm sure it will do the job of protecting the radiators. However, I really do not trust the clips on either the lower or middle grill. It does not take much pressure to have the thing come loose on the inside edge. So I put in a single zip tie to insure it would not move. Barely visible as you can see. Bottom line: Well made, looks good, fiddly to put in, and questionable whether the clips are robust enough for long term.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just got my car today, but I've seen a lot of posts about this accessory. I like the look and the functionality. Do these come from Europe or is there a US source?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I finally got the correct grill set for my 981 CS. It looks good. Installation was what I would term "very fiddly". In fact I was about to give up on the whole thing when it popped in place. I have to admit it does look good and I'm sure it will do the job of protecting the radiators. However, I really do not trust the clips on either the lower or middle grill. It does not take much pressure to have the thing come loose on the inside edge. So I put in a single zip tie to insure it would not move. Barely visible as you can see. Bottom line: Well made, looks good, fiddly to put in, and questionable whether the clips are robust enough for long term.
I had, pretty much, the same experience with installation, but I did not have the foresight of putting zip ties on--brilliant! I assumed that, these things were designed for this, so they must stay in place. Granted, I do track my 981 Cayman S 6-8 times a year, and 143 MPH is not exactly highway speeds.

For me, the top part (which looks like you did not put on) screws in, and is firmly in-place; the bottom part seems pretty solid once I figured it out (I think the directions were backward); but the middle ones seemed like they would fall out at 50MPH. One of them (the one on the driver's side) did come off, but it wasn't until I was at VIR, doing what the car was made for. Luckily, it fell inward! I pulled it back out, bent one of the flanges to make it a bit tighter, and put it back on--no problem until...

I was driving to work (highways speeds, but certainly pot holes present). And when I got to my destination, it (driver's side middle) was gone. I looked for it on my way home, but I have never seen it again.

I guess I'll need to contact Zunsport for a replacement, and I will certainly be using a zip tie this time! I do think that will keep them in there for good. Thanks for the suggestion!

All of that said, I do love the look of them, and they do the job; when they stay in-place, they look like they were installed by Porsche at the factory.

·
Registered
297 Posts
$1.75 gutter gard from Home Depot (cost of both sides). Looks good and very secure. I installed it 2 months ago and it has not budged.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Red

Reactions: FlatSickx

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did you have to take it apart to install? How did you attach them? The Zunsport ones install without taking anything apart. Your solution certainly looks good!
Yes, that looks really nice. Did you paint the slats and surround? Mine is black or dark gray, but really like yours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
$1.75 gutter gard from Home Depot (cost of both sides). Looks good and very secure. I installed it 2 months ago and it has not budged.
View attachment 165081
I did the Home depot thing well over a year ago. No issues at all and you don't have to take anything apart. I had to buy a 5-pack of guards, so I spent about $15 including the zip ties and the paint.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I ran Zunsport on my 2014 Cayman for two years with 0 issues and had an easy install. I have run Zunsport on my 2016 Cayman for two years with 0 issues and easy install. I, in fact, put on side grille inserts based on my experiences. It literally took <30 seconds per side. For me at least.........fit, finish, reliability make them well worth the investment.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did you have to take it apart to install? How did you attach them? The Zunsport ones install without taking anything apart. Your solution certainly looks good!
No, nothing has to be taken apart. If you use the "Search" function you will find numerous posts on these "Home Depot DIY grills" (I posted one myself with pictures but don't know how to insert the link to it in this message, sorry). They are certainly not an original idea from me.
Basically, you make a cardboard template on the outside of the opening by running a Sharpie around the opening shape. Hold the cardboard in place by poking a finger hole in the middle of the cardboard. Cut the rough outline with scissors a little at a time until you have a fairly good outline of the opening, you don't have to take a lot of time with this step. You then cut the grills from the guttergard material. The material is long enough (36 inches) for two grills but is only tall enough if you take out the S bend on the one edge by first straigtening it with pliers and then sandwiching it between two blocks of wood and pounding with a hammer. It will come out very flat with no trace of the S bend. To eliminate the minor scratching due to this process, simply spray the grills with black metal paint. They will look perfect when they dry. Then place cardboard over the metal and cut with sheet metal shears (about $15 if you don't have them), leaving about a half inch metal border all around the cardboard so the grill has a border to sit against the inside the opening for mounting. Test fit the grill inside the opening. Use an Allen Wrench to manipulate the grill around and pull it flat against the front by poking it through the mesh. Trim any metal that you have to to make it fit flat but you should not have to. Note that the one edge will not sit perfectly flat against the inside back of one side of the existing black plastic piece already on the car because Porsche manufactured it with a quarter inch thick edge lip for strength. (I have a Base and I believe the S grill opening may be slightly different but my described method should work for either). The quarter inch lip does not matter because the mesh edge will still fit flush against that edge after you secure it with plastic ties. (Get some black plastic wire ties and a can of spray paint while at the store). To use the ties without wrapping them around the stakes, simply drill a small hole underneath the strakes towards the back and any other attachment point you wish to use (where to attach best will be obvious when you lay the grill in to test the metal cut). I have them attached at 3 points and you cannot budge them nor see the ties. The hardest part is looping the ties through the grill and getting the front of the tie back out to lock it. (It is easy to thread through the drilled hole). But you can do this looping by putting your hand in the opening behind the grill while it is still loose. It took me about 2 hours from start to finish but if I had to do it again I could do it in half the time. I was going to buy the ZunSport product before I saw the price, which I think is higher than warranted for what you get, and also because of several posts about fitment issues. If you want more help send me a PM and I will offer more advice. It is an easy and fun DIY project and will save you hundreds of bucks to boot!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Dumb question: did you have to take the front bumper cover off to install?
No. The mesh bends enough to easily slip it in the openings. Note that I have an S, and therefore only have the two outboard radiators. Not sure how a guard for the middle radiator on a GTS would fit.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Installation was what I would term "very fiddly".
I had, pretty much, the same experience with installation
You have to install a SECOND clip to secure the lower front grilles; otherwise, they fall inside the cavity with the least provocation. It's NOT stated on the instructions, but extra clips are provided. I specifically posted about where to slide them in, with pictures and all, but don't remember on which thread (search with my ID). That way, they're rock solid. You also have to modify some of the tabs because they wouldn't engage as delivered: they need to be pushed out, so they grab the plastic trim correctly. At least on my GTS (and my brother's), those suckers are not going anywhere at any speed. Use a flashlight to make sure all tabs are fully engaged. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You have to install a SECOND clip to secure the lower front grilles; otherwise, they fall inside the cavity with the least provocation. It's NOT stated on the instructions, but extra clips are provided. I specifically posted about where to slide them in, with pictures and all, but don't remember on which thread (search with my ID). That way, they're rock solid. You also have to modify some of the tabs because they wouldn't engage as delivered: they need to be pushed out, so they grab the plastic trim correctly. At least on my GTS (and my brother's), those suckers are not going anywhere at any speed. Use a flashlight to make sure all tabs are fully engaged. Hope this helps.
I did modify the tabs, and I used all of the clips they gave me, but I did not have any clips left for the center grille (you're right--not on the instructions). The first time it fell inward, but the second time it fell out because it was completely gone.

I must say, Zunsport was really good about it though. They replaced it for free--just had to pay shipping.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just a heads-up. I have a like-new Zunsport front center grill available. Perfect condition.

$50 plus actual shipping. PM me if interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.