Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
41 - 60 of 140 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us. I know there are differences in the Foxwell software capabilities between various era Cayenne's (excellent on a 955/957, adequate on a 958) so it's not a huge surprise that the calibration for a 981 might not work correctly. Was an error message returned? How did it indicate it failed?
Error message was displayed on the foxwells screen, something like "operation failed" or similar. It was displayed as soon as I cliked on the start.

It looks liks foxwell is not very useful for 981, you can reset errors and maintance intervals, but not much other tham that (no overrev reports, nor PDK calibration...)

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
Error message was displayed on the foxwells screen, something like "operation failed" or similar. It was displayed as soon as I cliked on the start.

It looks liks foxwell is not very useful for 981, you can reset errors and maintance intervals, but not much other tham that (no overrev reports, nor PDK calibration...)
I'm not sure when you bought yours, but there have been several software updates, I think one included the Porsche specific software (I know one was an OS update since they fixed something I complained to them about.)

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
@Petar - can you lead me on a path to the menu selection you found for this function? I looked for it whilst connected to my '09 Boxster PDK and had no luck finding it, even though I could swear I saw it once when browsing around. I guess it might be they removed it in a software update if they found it didn't work... but if so - I'm going to bug them about getting it to work since it's a big value for the instrument.

Thanks!

· Registered
42 Posts
@Petar - can you lead me on a path to the menu selection you found for this function? I looked for it whilst connected to my '09 Boxster PDK and had no luck finding it, even though I could swear I saw it once when browsing around. I guess it might be they removed it in a software update if they found it didn't work.. but if so - I'm going to bug them about getting it to work since it's a big value for the instrument.

Thanks!
Here are screens leading to PDK calibration using foxwell
EDIT: I see images are in wrong order. So it's transmission control unit->special functions->calibration

Gadget Font Communication Device Display device Technology

Gadget Font Communication Device Display device Multimedia

Gadget Font Display device Electronic device Plant

Gadget Display device Electric blue Multimedia Machine

Attachments

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
Pedar, thanks. I've gotta go hook it up again. I can't recall seeing a "transmission control unit" - in my menu there was a selection for PDK shifter, and PDK umm... have to go look. Luckily it's warm in the garage, so I'll go in and take some pictures.

Interesting - I have a different control/menu structure than you do. There is no "transmission", there is a PDK Control Unit. I seem to recall seeing the version you had right after I got the Foxwell, but I updated the Porsche software via their website.

I have LOTS of pics - but it basically comes down to that function not being available on my NT530 and I do recall it being there earlier. So - I'm going to check the Porsche software version.

To do this you have to remove the MicroSD card from the NT530, put it into the USB adapter, and then run FoxAssist.

This is what I get for software versions - all appear to be the latest versions:

Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology Parallel

Porsche version V2.01.006 - and the latest Updateable Version - the same V2.01.006.

If you have a chance, can you check and see what version you have? I'm going to question them about the disappearing PDK clutch reset function. I could revert to V1.36.001 it looks like, but I'm curious if that will do what I want.

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
@deilenberger I have the NT520 Pro and was able to run the PDK calibration process successfully on my 2014 Cayman Base w/PDK. I'm going to try fill mode next.
@FlyingBear - that's great info to know. Can you check the version of software that you have on the NT520, as far as I know - functionally the NT520 and NT530 are identical (slight differences in the control buttons.) It would also be greatly appreciated if you can take cell-pics of the steps you take to get to the calibration process.

And interesting that on a later model car (981 I assume) it has the calibration process. I should have checked for this when I had the 2022 Macan loaner.. which has PDK.

· Registered
568 Posts
@FlyingBear - that's great info to know. Can you check the version of software that you have on the NT520, as far as I know - functionally the NT520 and NT530 are identical (slight differences in the control buttons.) It would also be greatly appreciated if you can take cell-pics of the steps you take to get to the calibration process.

And interesting that on a later model car (981 I assume) it has the calibration process. I should have checked for this when I had the 2022 Macan loaner.. which has PDK.
I too find this encouraging. I tried again a few weeks ago, but got the same "function terminated" message for my 981. I had all of the updates available when I tried it, but after reading above, I updated again yesterday and there were additional updates installed, though not the Porsche specific file. I am yet to attempt the calibration since this latest update, so will try again this coming week end. Hopefully.

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
I am yet to attempt the calibration since this latest update, so will try again this coming week end. Hopefully.
Please take cell-snaps of the screens as you work through to the selection to do this. Thanks!

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
The only thought that comes to mind is - does the TCU believe all the pre-conditions have been satisfied? IE - parking brake on, brake pedal depressed, transmission in park, no faults in the ECU, and - the real mystery - a vehicle analysis log has been created (what is that? How does one create it? Where does it go?)?

I think it's worth looking at "live data" to see if the TCU monitors all these items and the status of them. Could it be something as simple as one of those inputs being seen wrong?

BTW, Thanks for the pics.

· Registered
568 Posts
All of the pre-conditions were met other than a vehicle analysis log, which I don't know how to produce, and not sure if the ECU knows it was produced. A quick way to answer that is to ask someone who was successful calibrating, did they produce one. Maybe FlyingBear can answer that for us.

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
All of the pre-conditions were met other than a vehicle analysis log, which I don't know how to produce, and not sure if the ECU knows it was produced. A quick way to answer that is to ask someone who was successful calibrating, did they produce one. Maybe FlyingBear can answer that for us.
I'm sure you took the steps to satisfy the pre-conditions, but my question was - did the TCU know all the pre-conditions were met? Does it have the ability to monitor these conditions and if so - what was their status?

· Registered
568 Posts
I'm sure you took the steps to satisfy the pre-conditions, but my question was - did the TCU know all the pre-conditions were met? Does it have the ability to monitor these conditions and if so - what was their status?
Good question, but who knows. I wouldn't know how to determine that.

This is like the 10th attempt by me to do this calibration. If I could find another way I would just give up on the Foxwell. More feedback from successful Foxwell users would be great.

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
Good question, but who knows. I wouldn't know how to determine that.
I would think if the TCU is supposed to know the status of these items - it would show up under the "live data" section.

BTW - does your transmission actually need the calibration, or are you like me - just want to do it because it's there.. (a dangerous trait I've tried to overcome, without a lot of success..)

· Registered
568 Posts
BTW - does your transmission actually need the calibration, or are you like me - just want to do it because it's there.. (a dangerous trait I've tried to overcome, without a lot of success..)
I have about 65k miles on the car, and I feel there may be a small deterioration of shift performance since new (could be my imagination). It is my guess that it would benefit from a calibration. I recently performed PDK fluid changes, and I think it would be a good idea to do a calibration, to ensure I'm getting the best clutch/shift performance and wear. Didn't expect it to become such a drawn out issue. Doing the fluid changes was a snap compared to this.

· Registered
50 Posts
Sorry folks, forgot to check back here. In the past couple weeks I've used PDK Fill mode successfully as well. Here is the requested info...OS Software v 5.50. Porsche V8.28

For calibration, I access it via the transmission menu the same way Petar does Transmission --> special functions --> calibration. I did have to clear the engine codes before calibration would start properly.

Gadget Material property Font Gas Electronic device
Light Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Audio equipment
Light Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Portable communications device

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
Sorry folks, forgot to check back here. In the past couple weeks I've used PDK Fill mode successfully as well. Here is the requested info...OS Software v 5.50. Porsche V8.28
Where did you find those software numbers? Are these the ones on the Foxwell, because they aren't even close to the numbering scheme I get with my Foxwell. (see the post up top with the screen from the Foxwell update website.)

Thanks!

426 Posts
Where did you find those software numbers? Are these the ones on the Foxwell, because they aren't even close to the numbering scheme I get with my Foxwell.. (see the post up top with the screen from the Foxwell update website..)
Don, remember he's got the NT520, not the 530 we have... so his software and versions could be different... at least that's my guess on the matter.

41 - 60 of 140 Posts