Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
I just tried the third 'special' version of the porsche bin. The first didn't work at all, menu not displayable. Second delivered not enough info. The last one triggered 'transmission fault. Park vehicle safely.' (translated, it was in German) - scary! The NT 530 displayed a table with some results but I could not take much information out of it but results were not ok obviously.

After stop-restart the transmission was working again fortunately

· Registered
26 Posts
Not from my side. They sent me a new 'porsche' file to test but I'm very hesitant after the last experience where my PDK went into limp mode after some seconds after starting the procedure. I won't play alpha tester / guinea pig for foxwell for the price of a PDK. Also they didn't give me any changelog or a roadmap how many times I'll have to try and risk my PDK before they get it right.
That's approx. what I wrote to Mira but didn't get any answer yet. I won't do anything until I know my PDK will be safe.

· Registered
568 Posts
Any new updates regarding this? I tried again just for the heck of it, carefully meeting all requirements (short of the logging request, which I have no idea how to do or if it even matters). Still same result.

Additionally, I still can't find any device that I can purchase that will run the calibration, other than a PIWIS or COBB device, both of which are so expensive, I would be better having the dealer do it.

I am willing to spend a few hundred dollars for an additional device if I could only find one that will work. I contacted both iCarsoft and Autel, but neither has confirm that they offer a unit that will run the calibration.

· Registered
568 Posts
Ok, so I have given up on the Foxwell for PDK calibration, and bit the bullet and ordered an Autel MX808. Autel assures me that it will perform PDK calibration on my 981 Boxster. I will believe it when I see it, and return it if it does not. So in about a week I will have it, try it, and report back.

The MX808 costs considerably more than the Foxwell, but it works with "all" cars, so I can use it for that too. They charge for updates, but it's not a lot, and not required. Their more advanced devices do advanced TPS, key coding, and engine diagnostics, but then you are looking at 2 to 6x the price of the 808, and I can't justify that for my uses.

I found a local shop that has a PIWIS3, but they would not quote a price to perform the calibration. It was clear that they didn't know how long it would take, so I assume they have never done one. Not worth the risk to me, that they are not familiar with the PIWIS enough, and I don't want to be the Guinea pig.

I'll post more when I know more.

· Registered
568 Posts
Well, I have more news. I received the Autel MX808 quicker than I expected. Saturday, I registered and updated the tool. Sunday I ran the calibration.

Quick and to the point. Did it work? Well, yes, kind of, I think. That sounds worse than it is, but there was a glitch.

I ran it and throughout the process, everything went fine. Took about 15 minutes max. Afterwards as it was finishing up with the final screens, the third from the last screen stated that the calibration failed. see below:
Computer Personal computer Output device Gadget Communication Device

The next screen clears any codes produced by the calibration. Then the final screen seems to state that all went well. See below:
Computer Personal computer Output device Product Input device

So why did it say the calibration failed? I don't know the answer to this, yet. I am working with tech support to hopefully clear this up.

I actually ran the calibration twice. After the first time, I took it for a test drive. But I took no pictures of the screens, so when I returned, I ran the calibration a second time and took pictures. All of the results (screens) were the same.

Regarding the test drive, clearly something has changed, because starting off from standstill, there is less slippage, and gearshifts are sharper with less slippage. Downshifts are quicker with better rev-matching. Upshifts, at this time, have that delay (when shifted manually) that everyone else experienced after calibration, and I expect it will recover after I put more miles on the car.

An interesting note: First calibration, I experienced the trans clunking during the process, and it felt borderline violent. Second calibration the clunks were very light. What I take from this is that the clunking may be the measuring process, so the second calibration, the trans was in spec., no excessive clutch clearances, so less clunking. Just my take.

Both test rides produced the same trans performance.

Will report back as/if I learn more from tech support.

· Administrator
2,244 Posts
@gedwin - great info for the forum. Thanks much for chasing this.. a question - does the Autel claim to do calibration on the 987.2 PDK (2009-2012)? I see you're from NJ.. so.. I might be willing to see if it works on mine..

· Registered
568 Posts
Update: Last night I worked with tech support to identify the issue. They recorded the session to send to their engineers. This third attempt at calibration resulted in the same failure. They will be getting back to me. IMO, it is either just reporting incorrectly, or there is a part of the calibration that is failing, and it is not reported in the final screen.

More to come...

· Registered
568 Posts
Got an update from Autel.

"Our headquarters reviewed all the files overnight and ran the function through a simulation. It turns out that the calibration was successful and that the "Failed to calibrate" message was a mistake since the tool wasn't checking for a specific parameter.

This message will be fixed in a future update so you won't get that message, rest assured that the function did go through as per our engineers."

So, it works. Test drive behavior also indicates to me that the calibration was performed. I requested to be notified when the correction is added to an update.

Granted, the MX808 is not cheap, but if you have other uses for the tool, I think it is worth it.

Anyone want a deal on a Foxwell?... :)

· Administrator
2,244 Posts
Very happy to hear your results. I do wonder with the current US/China relations how well companies where engineering is based in China will be able to support users in the US. Now if we can find out if it supports the 987.2 PDK...

· Registered
568 Posts
Don't know if it can handle 987.2 cal. I'm waiting to see what kind of update gets released. There are other functions like battery setup, ABS cycling, PDK fill, coolant bleed, etc. that I would like to use, but I want to make sure they are serious about troubleshooting and updating issues if they arise. I don't want to get stuck halfway through a service because the tool fails to run a routine it is supposed to run, and have no where to go for support. We'll see.

· Administrator
2,244 Posts
Don't know if it can handle 987.2 cal.
Since you're in NJ (as I am) - we could get together and hook it up to my 987.2 PDK and see if it recognizes it.. ping me off line if that's of any interest.

Reactions: schwinn

· Registered
568 Posts
I've been driving the car since my last post and everything about the PDK's performance was better other than the delayed upshifts. I was driving back from the dealer yesterday (They did the rear carrier recall), and although for the first few miles the upshifts were still delayed, just as others have said; like a light switch, the quick sharpness of upshifts returned. So now I am sure that the calibration completed successfully. However, still awaiting the update to the Autel tool file. Will report back when they do it.

· Premium Member
981CaymanS
688 Posts
Hello Gedwin, could you please share more details about the rear carrier recall..? I have not received any letter but I bought my car used and from out of state (no local dealer), thanks!

PS: 2016 CS

· Registered
568 Posts
Hello Gedwin, could you please share more details about the rear carrier recall..? I have not received any letter but I bought my car used and from out of state (no local dealer), thanks!

PS: 2016 CS
Hi,
There are other posts about this if you search. It is a safety recall, so just check with your local dealer providing your VIN and they will inform you if your car is included. Porsche covers 100% of the cost.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts