Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
2) The drive is on top of the radio unit. On the Cayenne I was actually able to pull the HD without needing to disconnect any wires. 3) I got a Kingston 120gb from Amazon.
I’m not sure I have the guts to do this but also can’t afford to spend close to a grand for even a used unit. Was wondering what your experience was with removing the AC vents? Also, what’s it take to get to the hard drive in the actual PCM. I see you note it’s right on top but do I need to unscrew the top case. Have yet to open my dash up. I’m pretty nervous jacking anything up because then I have to look at any mistakes or scratches I make. It’s rebooting every 3 mins and making me mental! I can hear it’s the hard drive. I use to work on computers so feel relatively comfortable with cloning and replacing, just can’t wrap my head around the actual tear down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all. It seems there was an XM update that freaked out a ton of PCMs in the wild. Courtesy of @streamliner the fix is as follows:

HERE'S THE FIX!!

Start Car>>Push "CAR" on PCM>>
Push "options">>Set PCM System>>
Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>
Yes>>Yes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last week my PCM (3.1, 2014 Cayman S) was on the fritz. The Nav stopped working, and the unit kept rebooting every 5-10 minutes. I tried "resetting" it by pulling the fuse for 30 minutes or so, but that didn't resolve the issue. I then tried re-applying the 4.76 update via the DVD, but the update would fail about 90% of the way through with an error that it couldn't write files, and then the system just kept rebooting in to emergency update mode.

As a hail marry, I pulled out the drive (it's a 100GB sata 2.5 inch drive located at the top of the unit.) to see if I could get my pc to at least see it. Sure enough I was able to see the partitions, so I ran some diagnostics on it. These came up with bad blocks.

I ran down to Best Buy and grabbed a 120 gb PNY solid state drive off the shelf for $20. Using Clonezilla, I cloned the failing drive to the new SSD. There were a few bad blocks on the old drive, but it was mostly successful. I was primarily trying to get the boot sector anyway. Inserted the cloned SSD into the unit and bench booted it. It did boot into emergency update mode again (I suspected it would), but I popped the update disc in figuring "what's the worst that could happen?"

The update ran completely and successfully! I popped the entire unit back in the car and everything works flawlessly. It didn't copy over my jukebox files, but the nav, saved destinations, phone settings, presets, and even my lap recordings all copied over. Overall the unit seems a little quicker and more responsive - likely as a result of the SSD - and I suspect the SSD will be more reliable as it's less sensitive to vibration and heat than the traditional drive that was in there. If your PCM hasn't failed yet, perhaps this would be a preventative measure? The SSD is $20, and the Software Update disc is another $23 shipped. For under $45 seems like it would be an opportunity to save some cash in the long run vs. a Porsche replacement.
Hello,
I found your article on Google and i am happy!!! I have exactly the same problem on my Cayenne S Hybrid. Porsche asked me 3000 dollars to replacé thé unit !!! Can u please give me référence for the harddrive to buy. Is it easy to connect it ? What s the way if i can not back up the old one ? + i also remark that my iphone is still connecting the PCM Bluetooth without the hard disk ( i put it out already) but i do not have any voice ( music + phone). I Mean it s connected on PCM but no voice ... is it a link with hard disk ? Of is there anothet problem ? Thanks for your help. Actually I am in Belgium. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I found your article on Google and i am happy!!! I have exactly the same problem on my Cayenne S Hybrid. Porsche asked me 3000 dollars to replacé thé unit !!! Can u please give me référence for the harddrive to buy. Is it easy to connect it ? What s the way if i can not back up the old one ? + i also remark that my iphone is still connecting the PCM Bluetooth without the hard disk ( i put it out already) but i do not have any voice ( music + phone). I Mean it s connected on PCM but no voice ... is it a link with hard disk ? Of is there anothet problem ? Thanks for your help. Actually I am in Belgium. Thanks a lot
hello @Atilla, you might want to check some threads with the keywords "no audio" in them. this looks like a good one: No Audio PCM

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m not sure I have the guts to do this but also can’t afford to spend close to a grand for even a used unit. Was wondering what your experience was with removing the AC vents? Also, what’s it take to get to the hard drive in the actual PCM. I see you note it’s right on top but do I need to unscrew the top case. Have yet to open my dash up. I’m pretty nervous jacking anything up because then I have to look at any mistakes or scratches I make. It’s rebooting every 3 mins and making me mental! I can hear it’s the hard drive. I use to work on computers so feel relatively comfortable with cloning and replacing, just can’t wrap my head around the actual tear down.
I think removing and replacing the HD is the easiest part. The vents are a little bit of struggle to get off. You sometimes have to pull from the bottom a little harder than you think you'd like to. After that it is 4 screws for the radio and 2 that hold the HD bracket in place, and 4 screws to hold the HD on the bracket. There are two different size Torx screws. If you are lucky, like myself and the original poster, the drive was "going bad", but not totally "dead" yet. So we were both able to "clone" it, thus retaining things like the Maps, etc. Figuring your way around the EaseUS software and doing a sector by sector image file, ignoring any errors (settings) takes quite awhile. Then cloning it to a new drive and last getting the OS restored are probably the most difficult parts to get working, or at least most time consuming. As I mentioned in my post the DVD update to 4.76 did not work by itself. My friend at the dealer had to use a USB stick, which only dealers have, and can only be used after the DVD update fails. I believe that is what fixed the OS on the unit in my case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had my '14 BS to the dealer service center to have them look at the rebooting PCM issue. They stated Porsche is working on the issue and they are currently not replacing. There was no timeframe given. I've tried the PCM Reset and and PCM factory settings without success. My reboot time is 1:18 seconds every time. Thankfully if you power off the PCM while the car is running the next time you start it will be off so I'm not bombarded with high volume static every 1min reboot. This is so annoying. Someone said it was related to satellite radio? I like the HDD replacement idea to SDD but as an under warranty car I feel like I'm stuck.

Cheers,
KM

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had my '14 BS to the dealer service center to have them look at the rebooting PCM issue. They stated Porsche is working on the issue and they are currently not replacing. There was no timeframe given. I've tried the PCM Reset and and PCM factory settings without success. My reboot time is 1:18 seconds every time. Thankfully if you power off the PCM while the car is running the next time you start it will be off so I'm not bombarded with high volume static every 1min reboot. This is so annoying. Someone said it was related to satellite radio? I like the HDD replacement idea to SDD but as an under warranty car I feel like I'm stuck.

Cheers,
KM
Since you didn't mention it specifically, did you do the "Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>" as stated above? That is the only thing that resets the Sirius XM issue. The XM update was causing mine to reboot about every 2 minutes (I didn't time it precisely).

As far as the HD is concerned. They use a "platter" type of HD, and in my experience it is always when they will fail, not if... If your tech and mechanical savvy, then I would Clone and Replace with an SSD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

As you might see 981 DIY section of PCM refresh thread, when I installed Joyeauto CarPlay to my 981BS, I tried to replace HD to SSD. While I could install Joyeauto, I could not replace HD to SSD. I only have Apple computer and it did not recognize original PCM HD. Did anyone try with Apple system or must I use Windows? Thanks.

Toyota Soarer G1 (Japan only model to G3 is Lexus SC)
MGB (Japan)
Maserati Biturbo (Japan)
Jeep cherokee (USA)
Matsuda MX5 NA G1 (USA)
Land Rover Discovery G1 (Japan)
Mustang V6 (USA)
Honda S2000 (USA I drove 13 years!)
981B manual
981BS PDK (current car)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately you would probably have to use Windows. I tried using Clonezilla on my Mac and it didn't work (although it could be my hardware). You could try it on yours to see if it might work. Clonezilla also did not work for me on my PC, but EaseUS did, so I used that on Windows. The OS on the PCM is some sort of Windows hybrid, so that may be why the Mac cannot deal with it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hello,

As you might see 981 DIY section of PCM refresh thread, when I installed Joyeauto CarPlay to my 981BS, I tried to replace HD to SSD. While I could install Joyeauto, I could not replace HD to SSD. I only have Apple computer and it did not recognize original PCM HD. Did anyone try with Apple system or must I use Windows? Thanks.

Toyota Soarer G1 (Japan only model to G3 is Lexus SC)
MGB (Japan)
Maserati Biturbo (Japan)
Jeep cherokee (USA)
Matsuda MX5 NA G1 (USA)
Land Rover Discovery G1 (Japan)
Mustang V6 (USA)
Honda S2000 (USA I drove 13 years!)
981B manual
981BS PDK (current car)
I’m a Mac user and I just used this instead:

Hard Drive Dock, Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5 HDD, SSD with Hard Drive Duplicator and Cloner Function, Support 10TB, FD2002, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00N1MAMB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_e-l6EbEJ1GTXJ

If you want I can just send it to you and you can send it back when you are done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m a Mac user and I just used this instead:

Hard Drive Dock, Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5 HDD, SSD with Hard Drive Duplicator and Cloner Function, Support 10TB, FD2002, Black Hard Drive Dock, Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5 HDD, SSD with Hard Drive Duplicator and Cloner Function, Support 10TB, FD2002, Black: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

If you want I can just send it to you and you can send it back when you are done.
Hi Canux

Thank you for the information. I am glad that I can use my Mac with this cloning system. I rethink the risk to PCM out again with all wires and things in the back and decided to hold the idea to change SSD. But it is always good that I now know how to do it. Currently, I do not have any issues of my HD so, let's see how long it can survive. Thank you for your very kind offer and I appreciate it. As soon as I found any sign of HD failure or reboot issue etc, I will ask your help to change to SSD as I already purchased from PNY.

SE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just be careful, because when a platter HD fails, it can totally fail without warning. In such a case you will be stuck as you will not be able to restore from anything. If you clone someone else's, things like the Maps won't work (even though they pretty much suck), as it is keyed to your PCM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi SurfRider,

Thank you for the alert. Yes I agree that I should do it anytime soon. All HD eventually fail. I am just looking for the next opportunity/reason to do something on PCM+Joyeauto CarPlay box in addition to the replacement and just figured that I should relocate the microphone came with Joyeauto. As it is currently clipped on passenger side vent. It looks so aftermarket. I will post my question where to be easiest but not like aftermarket solution to hide microphone on the PCM refresh thread.

S

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jslo73 nailed this one! Thank you! My 2014 Cayenne had the rebooting about every 4 minutes and 20 seconds. As a software guy, I suspected that it was trying to update something and failing (unable to write to the hard drive). This was the only thread I found anywhere that mentioned that these radios have a hard drive in them. Of course it is going to fail at some point!

I was unable to use Clonezilla (didn't like my computer for some reason), however I used Easeus.com to clone the drive successfully (and even have a copy of the image file saved on my computer). I have a friend at a local dealer who then ran the Update DVD. When it was finished, it came up in the emergency update mode. He was then able to use the USB update (that I guess only the dealers have?) and I believe that it reloaded all the necessary OS bits (full update instead of partial like the DVD). Although the drive cloned, the cloning program would ignore bad block, which would leave corrupted files, apps, etc. After the USB update was done, everything was running perfectly! My radio was on 4.73 and was updated to 4.76. He was very surprised this worked, as he said that if you get the emergency mode (in English/French) that the radio is toast, in his experience.
This constant rebooting of the PCM sounds exactly like the problem I've come across in other forums - specifically the Cayenne forum for cars with PCM 3.1 and Sirius Satellite radio. In those cases, it was determined that a bad software update from Sirius had been sent over the Satellite link, and caused a bad block to be written to the HD, such that it constantly rebooted (at constant intervals). It happened again most recently on Memorial Day when Sirius made their product available for free for the weekend.

Hard/factory reset of the PCM ended up being the fix, if anyone encountered similar behaviour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did this this weekend, and it was pretty straightforward. I wrote up the steps I took from start to finish here:

WRT to the AC vent removal, it's actually pretty easy. Take the smallest screwdriver you have (preferably two of them) and about 2/3 of the way down each vent, you will see a small rectangle sticking out of the side, inside the vent. You will probably need a flashlight to see them. Stick your screwdrivers in each rectangle, and squeeze the ends of the screwdrivers together (the effect is to pull those rectangles in to the inside of the air vent at the same time. Then, grab the lip of the AC vent at the bottom, and gently tug. If it doesn't pop right off, wiggle the screwdrivers a bit, and work it slowly. Once you have the AC vents out, disconnect the wire that holds them in place - it's a simple press fit electrical connector.

The hard drive is the easiest thing to get to in the PCM. It's right on top. You dont' even have to pull the PCM all the way out, and you don't have to disconnect any wires at the back. Two screws on top, and you lift it right out.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts