Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S Launch Edition
6 Posts
I finished mine a few minutes ago. It went pretty smooth.

The NAV didn't come up for like 10 minutes after I swapped hard drives tho. I thought I was going to have to revert to the old HDD, but was relieved when it came back up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I finished mine a few minutes ago. It went pretty smooth.

The NAV didn't come up for like 10 minutes after I swapped hard drives tho. I thought I was going to have to revert to the old HDD, but was relieved when it came back up.
ah, scary. Did you have to do an update with the DVD? I don't have that so i'm hoping i won't have to.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just plugged in the new SSD and it worked perfectly. No delays or anything. I didn't try to route anything in navigation, but it loaded up and showed the map just fine. I'll go for a drive later. Might be in my head, but everything does feel a little snappier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried to install the joyeauto CarPlay/Android upgrade and may have killed the HDD in the process (it was already flaky before). Now I lost the jukebox and map/navigation.

Does the DVD update firmware/recovery fix navigation if I start with a blank SSD? Or do I need to buy a map update to load the map data separately?

·
Registered
2007 Base Boxster, 2013 Base Cayenne
18 Posts
Thank you to everyone for posting all the great information. All PCM 3.1s are not alike however. I have a very early 2013 Cayenne that was actually built in 2012. It has the Bose upgrade and SiriusXM, navigation and a 6 CD player built in. My guess is that I have an old IDE drive in my unit. I tried to take the PCM out yesterday but something on the bottom is catching and won't let me remove it. (yes I know I don't have to remove to get to the hard drive but I want to add Car Play which does require removal). So what SSD will work properly in this unit (PCM3.1 System Version V3.43) ? How do I get the PCM out of the dash? Where can I get this "update disk" (which I should be able to transfer to a USB stick quite easily) that Porsche has apparently stopped selling?

·
Registered
3 Posts
1) Yes it is faster. Not sure if it is faster connecting to the phone. Boots much faster though. 2) The drive is on top of the radio unit. On the Cayenne I was actually able to pull the HD without needing to disconnect any wires. 3) I got a Kingston 120gb from Amazon. Was rated pretty well and you don't need a bigger HD than what was in there (which was an 80gb). No need for overkill there.
First of all nice work on this thread, great content and thank you for all who contributed. I agree you do not need a larger drive, but a faster drive should improve performance. Kigston has read / write speeds 500 / 450 whereas something like the Samsung 860 pro has 560 / 530 so while it should be faster the question is whether or not it is noticeable or worth $60 extra? Personally I would be inclined to spend the extra $$

·
Registered
18 Posts
So to follow up on my post #47, I got the PCM out of the dash and replaced the IDE drive with an SSD and a connection converter. The PCM works just fine except when my brand new V1 Gen 2 is plugged in. It is mounted on the windshield on the passenger side up at the top and next to the plastic "box" around the Porsche GPS antenna. The CPM is faster than it was with the old drive which apparently was working just fine. My GPS issues are due to the V1 Gen 2. If I unplug the V1 I can watch the satellite number slowly climb until I plug the V1 in again and it drops to 0. There is a link on the forums for the upgrade disk which is a necessity for the hard drive replacement. I'm still trying to decide on a kit to add CarPlay/Android Auto but the drive replacement was a huge confidence builder so that I really think I can add the board required for CarPlay/Android Auto.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
So to follow up on my post #47, I got the PCM out of the dash and replaced the IDE drive with an SSD and a connection converter. The PCM works just fine except when my brand new V1 Gen 2 is plugged in. It is mounted on the windshield on the passenger side up at the top and next to the plastic "box" around the Porsche GPS antenna. The CPM is faster than it was with the old drive which apparently was working just fine. My GPS issues are due to the V1 Gen 2. If I unplug the V1 I can watch the satellite number slowly climb until I plug the V1 in again and it drops to 0. There is a link on the forums for the upgrade disk which is a necessity for the hard drive replacement. I'm still trying to decide on a kit to add CarPlay/Android Auto but the drive replacement was a huge confidence builder so that I really think I can add the board required for CarPlay/Android Auto.
That is very interesting about the GPS Sat reception, have you asked Valentine about this?

Regarding the CarPlay/Android Auto board, if I still had this version of PCM it would already be in there! ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tried to install the joyeauto CarPlay/Android upgrade and may have killed the HDD in the process (it was already flaky before). Now I lost the jukebox and map/navigation.
Sorry to hear, but if you have CarPlay up and running, do you really need the built-in nav and jukebox anyway??

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Sorry to hear, but if you have CarPlay up and running, do you really need the built-in nav and jukebox anyway??
I would be taking the position that it should not have killed Nav and Jukebox... ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does Anybody know if cloning/repairing the hard disk can solve an initial reboot issue - I get the Porsche sign displayed and then after what appears to be random time 10 - 20sec it blanks out and start rebooting again - I have tried the PCM reset but I cannot get that far (reboots before entering this mode). I can hear the hard disk powering down before starting to reboot (I guess that is what I hear).

Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
Does Anybody know if cloning/repairing the hard disk can solve an initial reboot issue - I get the Porsche sign displayed and then after what appears to be random time 10 - 20sec it blanks out and start rebooting again - I have tried the PCM reset but I cannot get that far (reboots before entering this mode). I can hear the hard disk powering down before starting to reboot (I guess that is what I hear).

Thanks
I'd suggest reading:

That should give you some clues - especially the first thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suddenly started having the PCM 3.1 (v4.73) reboot issue (also nothing else works except radio) - literally, one day running fine and the next day, broken, without any warning. So, pulled the drive out and tried to clone it, but ran into some "I/O errors" with Clonezilla and Macrium (did not try Easus). This proves it was an HDD issue. However, managed to eventually get a clone using another route, then restored to an SSD (Note: I think Clonezilla would've worked if I'd played around with some of the other options, like ignore bit errors). After I installed the SSD, the PCM unit rebooted fine, and was able to reset the PCM, but original issue remained. I'm guessing whatever data got corrupted (probably due to bad sectors/blocks) got transferred over. So, at this stage the only improvement was that reboots happened a lot quicker!
However, thanks to the first link from deilenberger's above post, there was link to an ISO with the 4.76 update. I ran the update and it duly went into Emergency Update mode when it completed, but suggested that I retry (indicated that I had 17 more retries). So I did and it began another update process, presumably repairing some files, because when it completed, it rebooted everything started working. Just in case, I've pulled the SSD out and made another image for backup.
So, many thanks, deilenberger!

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is very interesting about the GPS Sat reception, have you asked Valentine about this?

Regarding the CarPlay/Android Auto board, if I still had this version of PCM it would already be in there! ;)
I contacted Valentine and heard back from them several times requesting more information which I supplied. Have not heard anything since New Years. I found, thanks to what they asked, that if I moved the V1 a couple of inches away from the antenna that the satellites show up. My solution for now is to use my older V1 in the Cayenne because it does not affect the GPS and allows me to put it exactly where I want it. I'm holding off on the CarPLay/Android Auto because it disables the built-in navigation. Yes, the CarPlay/Android Auto makes the Porsche Nav un-necessary but I love having the map show up in the gauge cluster which only the Porsche Nav does. I really wish I could find a CarPlay/Android Auto option that would not disable the Porsche Nav.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I contacted Valentine and heard back from them several times requesting more information which I supplied. Have not heard anything since New Years. I found, thanks to what they asked, that if I moved the V1 a couple of inches away from the antenna that the satellites show up. My solution for now is to use my older V1 in the Cayenne because it does not affect the GPS and allows me to put it exactly where I want it. I'm holding off on the CarPLay/Android Auto because it disables the built-in navigation. Yes, the CarPlay/Android Auto makes the Porsche Nav un-necessary but I love having the map show up in the gauge cluster which only the Porsche Nav does. I really wish I could find a CarPlay/Android Auto option that would not disable the Porsche Nav.
I was not aware that implementing AA/CP on this version of PCM disabled Porsche NAV?

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Take a look at post #45 and #52.
Ahhh, but that person already admitted that they were having HDD problems though, no definitive explanation was given for the loss of Porsche NAV in that case.

I think that a search of completed installations of this hardware would give a better idea if it indeed affects Porsche NAV.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts