Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have same problem with 2010 Panamera, I hope this will work with my car. Do you know what kind of disk or any sort of connector is needed to 2010 Panamera ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Success! I did the SSD Upgrade today using the Inateck FD102 Dual SATA HDD Docking Station with Offline Clone Function. I read about the upgrade a long time ago, but being an Apple Mac OS X user the computer cloning of HDD to SSD looked too complicated to me. The stand alone cloning ability encouraged me to try it. I used the Samsung 860 EVO (500 GB) SDD, as it was only about $10 more than the 250 GB. As others have reported, my OEM HDD was a 100 GB Toshiba unit.

Removal of the PCM from the dash wasn't too bad, though I broke one of the clips removing the console side panels. I removed the 25 amp fuse from Position B10 Drivers Side Fuse Box before starting the removal. I used the technique of moving the gearshift lever to Drive, before shutting off the engine; this allowed space to slide the PCM out onto a towel and not having to disconnect any connections from the rear of the PCM. I was able to access the HDD on top of the PCM and the fit of the HDD was surprisingly tight.

The actual cloning of the HDD to SSD was fast... less than one hour! After installing the cloned SSD, the power-up was quick and all functions of the PCM worked. The booting time from startup is significantly faster that the OEM HDD. Thank you to everyone that wrote and posted photos of their upgrade; no way would I have tried this without all the help from Planet-9 and Rennlist.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did the same preventative maintenance step...
Cloned the Toshiba spinning disc hard drive over to a Samsung solid state drive...
So simple to do thanks to previous trailblazers providing excellent DIY steps...
Mechanical hard drive are destined to failure at some point...
Porsche won't perform this work..... But they will sell you a complete replacement PCM when supplies are available....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Success! I did the SSD Upgrade today using the Inateck FD102 Dual SATA HDD Docking Station with Offline Clone Function. ...I used the Samsung 860 EVO (500 GB) SDD, as it was only about $10 more than the 250 GB. As others have reported, my OEM HDD was a 100 GB Toshiba unit.
Thanks for the tips and part recommendations! I'm glad it went smoothly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reached a bit of an impasse today and was hoping someone could help with some insight as to the next steps. Below is what we’ve done this far, vehicle is a 2014 Panamera S e-Hybrid, with a PCM 3.1 XM radio enabled. Symptom is the restart every 4-5 minutes. Firmware version is 4.76, and was updated last December by the dealership as a hope to fix the problem (which it did not).

1. Removed PCM Hardrive, problem persisted without drive installed.
2. Duplicated onto SSD with Clonezilla (two partitions had issue prompts, but the write still completed).
3. Reinstalled SSD, problem persisted.
4. Couldn’t activate 4.76 update via USB, burned into DVD and it did trigger the sequence, however it only appeared to re-write one section/partition and finished within 5 minutes or so. Problem persists post update.

What are the recommendations here for the next step?

Is it possible when the dealer attempted to “fix” the issue with an update, they stopped the update from being a viable option to fix the corrupted files?

Is there an ISO or image of a working PCM I can download onto my harddrive to fix the issue or set the firmware back and allow for an update?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reached a bit of an impasse today and was hoping someone could help with some insight as to the next steps. Below is what we’ve done this far, vehicle is a 2014 Panamera S e-Hybrid, with a PCM 3.1 XM radio enabled. Symptom is the restart every 4-5 minutes. Firmware version is 4.76, and was updated last December by the dealership as a hope to fix the problem (which it did not).

1. Removed PCM Hardrive, problem persisted without drive installed.
2. Duplicated onto SSD with Clonezilla (two partitions had issue prompts, but the write still completed).
3. Reinstalled SSD, problem persisted.
4. Couldn’t activate 4.76 update via USB, burned into DVD and it did trigger the sequence, however it only appeared to re-write one section/partition and finished within 5 minutes or so. Problem persists post update.

What are the recommendations here for the next step?

Is it possible when the dealer attempted to “fix” the issue with an update, they stopped the update from being a viable option to fix the corrupted files?

Is there an ISO or image of a working PCM I can download onto my harddrive to fix the issue or set the firmware back and allow for an update?

Thanks in advance.
Did you reset (handover) the PCM before cloning the drive? If not, you are just copying bad data to the new drive. I suggest doing a full reset ("handover") on the system first. If the original hard drive is really bad, it may not be possible.

I have an image of my drive that I can write to an SSD, if you need. The maps are coded to my VIN, so you will lose your navigation functionality. My car is a 2014 Panamera Turbo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need your support!

After I had the same "loading map" issue, I tried to clone my HD. unfortunately, Partition 2 is that strongly destroyed, that I can't even use CloneZilla. Is there anyone who could offer me their Backup File of his Partition 2? I think the Map Data is in the bigger partitions, they work well. So it is only the second partition which has an issue for me.

Much appreciate your support! Lars

·
Registered
175 Posts
I need your support!

After I had the same "loading map" issue, I tried to clone my HD. unfortunately, Partition 2 is that strongly destroyed, that I can't even use CloneZilla. Is there anyone who could offer me their Backup File of his Partition 2? I think the Map Data is in the bigger partitions, they work well. So it is only the second partition which has an issue for me.

Hopefully someone here can help you out. I’m planning to upgrade my HDD to a SSD in the next month or so but can’t get to it now (waiting to pull the HU until my JoyeAuto CarPlay module gets here).

I’m wondering if there is demand for an SDD upgrade service? (I may try that and see... or is the VIN/NAV issue the holdup?).

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
130 Posts
I had the PCM out for my sport chrono clock installation and went ahead and cloned the Toshiba HD with a Samsung 860 EVO SSD drive. I used a Wavelink stand alone docking station and it took about 40 minutes to complete the clone. I already had the latest V4.76 and everything worked including the Navi and all the settings and addresses remained. The jukebox did have to be reloaded as it was empty and fortunately I had my 3000 songs in folders on a thumb drive so that was not a problem.
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need your support!

I will try to pull out just partition 2. I am running clonezilla in a virtual machine shared with Ubuntu.....I am not sure if I can separate partition 2 from the rest of the image.

I am happy to write my entire drive to an SSD for you. My understanding is that there will be issues with the Navigation (which I believe is tied to your VIN). My car is a 2014 Panamera Turbo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will try to pull out just partition 2. I am running clonezilla in a virtual machine shared with Ubuntu.....I am not sure if I can separate partition 2 from the rest of the image.

I am happy to write my entire drive to an SSD for you. My understanding is that there will be issues with the Navigation (which I believe is tied to your VIN). My car is a 2014 Panamera Turbo.
Uploading my PCM image now....may take an hour or two. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suddenly started having the PCM 3.1 (v4.73) reboot issue (also nothing else works except radio) - literally, one day running fine and the next day, broken, without any warning. So, pulled the drive out and tried to clone it, but ran into some "I/O errors" with Clonezilla and Macrium (did not try Easus). This proves it was an HDD issue. However, managed to eventually get a clone using another route, then restored to an SSD (Note: I think Clonezilla would've worked if I'd played around with some of the other options, like ignore bit errors). After I installed the SSD, the PCM unit rebooted fine, and was able to reset the PCM, but original issue remained. I'm guessing whatever data got corrupted (probably due to bad sectors/blocks) got transferred over. So, at this stage the only improvement was that reboots happened a lot quicker!
However, thanks to the first link from deilenberger's above post, there was link to an ISO with the 4.76 update. I ran the update and it duly went into Emergency Update mode when it completed, but suggested that I retry (indicated that I had 17 more retries). So I did and it began another update process, presumably repairing some files, because when it completed, it rebooted everything started working. Just in case, I've pulled the SSD out and made another image for backup.
So, many thanks, deilenberger!
I need help as my PCM reboots too often for the Update to work - I tried re-imaging the drive on an SSD and it worked, but I thing the Boot or OS is bad. as yours worked, and you have a copy of the 3.1 drive - Can I buy a copy of it from you? you can call me 4163022229 Walter

·
Registered
4 Posts

If you are able to provide an image that can be copied onto a drive - I think my OS is bad as even when |I cloned it to an SSD it still fails. I need a good image to get back up and running. Can you help? 4163022229 Walter

61 - 77 of 77 Posts