Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the offer as I didn't know that they could be extracted from the files provided? How would we know if the registry entries are correct?

I was trying to download them from here: https://mhhauto.com/Thread-Porsche-PIWIS-II-18-100-Universal-Image-Step-by-step-guide
I'm not sure of this, but I get the impression that the OP made his VM image from the mhhauto guide. There are a lot of similarities between the OP's VM and the details mentioned on mhhauto.

I have the VM fully functional on my PC, and I'm able to mount a shared folder between my PC and the VM. I can try copying all the files from the C: drive in the VM to the shared folder. That way I can access the files outside of the VM. Or I could try cloning the VM's C: drive to an ISO image, which you could then try to clone onto an external hard drive that you use to boot your laptop.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I'm not sure of this, but I get the impression that the OP made his VM image from the mhhauto guide. There are a lot of similarities between the OP's VM and the details mentioned on mhhauto.

I have the VM fully functional on my PC, and I'm able to mount a shared folder between my PC and the VM. I can try copying all the files from the C: drive in the VM to the shared folder. That way I can access the files outside of the VM. Or I could try cloning the VM's C: drive to an ISO image, which you could then try to clone onto an external hard drive that you use to boot your laptop.
Interesting, so the ISO would be essentially a bootable XP based PIWIS? If you are game I would try it.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
my car is also build in spring 2012, and it's called 2013. Caused massive confusion when buying part and wheels. Untill I learned to just put year 2013.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting, so the ISO would be essentially a bootable XP based PIWIS? If you are game I would try it.
After doing a bit of research, .ISO isn't a proper volume image format because it's meant for optical discs (CD, DVD, Bluray) not hard drives. On the plus side, VirtualBox's native disk image file (.VDI file) can be opened or mounted by some common programs such as 7Zip or Daemon Tools Lite. Once mounted, you could copy the files to another location.

There are also instructions online for how to write a .VDI file directly onto a physical hard drive, but it's something you'd have to try on your own since I don't have a spare drive.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow cool a PIWIS II thread! I read in MHH that the xcar360 folks are a more reputable hw source. I am in progress of ordering a set from them via PM in MHH.

I built a PIWIS One for my 987 with native XP boot and such, it rocks.(PM me for questions/interest)

Now I need a PIWIS II.
I plan to try and create a .TIB that will universal restore to an IBM X40 since I have a spare. (other one is PIWIS One) I have the X40 converted to mSATA.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cool, let us know how the unit from xcar360 works out. I plan on buying a unit soon too, and will need to decide where to get one from.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Cool, let us know how the unit from xcar360 works out. I plan on buying a unit soon too, and will need to decide where to get one from.
From the MHH feedback and even in this thread, other HW sources (must at minimum get Samtec style) seem to burn out in one or two months. Some mentioned adding a fan to their units. I'm real close to ordering the xcar360 since pricing via PM is less than their posted price.

Trying to figure out what the benefit of the WiFi module (or not) is. I think you can program car keys with a connection but I think you have to pay a 3rd party for a "Porsche connection". Not sure how that works but seems an additional fee. Has anyone done this?

BTW already noted above almost all actual code changes to modules needs to be run in the "Engineering/Development Mode" which is all in German. Pretty much like "offline mode" but allowing changes as if you had a "Porsche connection" mentioned above. Don't think that mode allows Key programming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone else have sudenly a problem with this PIWIS 2?
I Installed this PIWIS 2 virtual box file a year ago and it was working perfect. However since today when I load PIWIS 2 the car selection screen is black... Deleted the PIWIS 2 file from virtual box and installed again and working at first startup but when I restart PIWIS 2 the menu is black again. I also installed on another laptop and same issue!! Hope anyone can help me with this.

piwis 2.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm using Oracle VM VirtualBox version 6.0.6 r130049 (Qt5.6.2), which I assume is an old version since I haven't used the software for quite a while. If you can, try using a different version of VM than you're currently using, and also see if there are any graphics drivers that need updating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Solved my issue of black diagnostics menu in PIWIS 2. Somehow after first run the PIWIS 2 was not imprinted anymore and that's why black menu even with the new downloaded PIWIS VB file from this thread. Followed the imprint procedure on MMH auto from Turbofan and now all ok again. Hope that this will help anyone having same issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you get the black menu bar as described by Rob997 above, here is the way to fix it:

When testing on another machine I had loaded this on last year, this is what I discovered.

When you start the PIWIS, if you have entered 'x' as the validationstring then the 'validity of imprint' will be blank. However, if you have entered a number, eg 9999, this number will count down as time progresses. Look at the screenshot from OnetimeCS above where the validity is 9575 days.

I noted on my machine that when I opened PIWIS (I had put in 9999 days last year) and the imprint was invalid, the validity of imprint was blank. There was also a message saying the imprint was invalid. Instead of reloading the entire VM, I imprinted it again as per the instructions below without having to import the PIWIS.ova file again into Virtualbox. If I exited out of PIWIS without doing the imprint again I ended up with the problem that Rob997 describes above that only seems to be solved by deleting the PIWIS VM from Virtualbox and then importing again.

My advice is to look at the validity of imprint when you open PIWIS each time to check it's still valid. If not, immediately go and imprint again. If you don't it seems that you will get the black menu bar when you open PIWIS again. I have made a text file of the imprint instructions and shared it with the PIWIS VM so I can immediately refer to it when required.

Imprint Instructions:

1. Open PIWIS 2

2. Go to -- SETTINGS--> Tester Imprint

3. Go to "Licence" tab - if you are unable to enter a key (boxes greyed out), go to "KEY" tab and click 'Create Key' (will generate a requirement code), and then go back to "Licence" tab

4. Enter any key and press save, keep repeating it until it says "too many faulty attempts"

5. go to "KEY" tab and click 'Create Key' (will generate a requirement code)

6. Exit PIWIS II with task manager. To exit PIWIS without shutting down the VM, right click on taskbar (at bottom), open task manager, then go to 'desktop' and end task.

7. Go to the folder "c:\user data" and locate the file "praegung.xml" (this is the 'praegung.xml' on the desktop) edit it with notepad and locate the part "demand key", delete the existing number and enter 4032546358 to replace the one in the file - save the file and close.

8. Start the piwis again, Go to -- SETTINGS--> Tester Imprint in the "KEY" tab you should see the key you have entered before.

9. go to "license" tab and enter the key below and click SAVE. This is the same key that is in the licence.txt file on the desktop that can be copy/pasted into the key.

s3nT IfSX sytP rDFo 1TRM Gw==

10. Now it should say "Tester was succesfully imprinted" and validity should show 30 days. Close PIWIS with task manager.

11. Go to the folder (use the shortcut on the desktop) "c:\user data" and locate the file "praegung.xml" edit it with notepad and locate the part "validationstring" replace the 30 by unlimited OR enter "X" number of days (eg-9999)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, enabled sport plus, software update PDK, DME and instrument, read / clear codes - if any. All the things dealer can do (if you have the knowledge)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts