Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
JJ, I’ve read conflicting info on torque values of the pan drain plug. You mentioned 15 nm, which is 11 lb ft. Another member mentioned 20 lb. I’m just curious if you can cite your sources for me? I’ll be tackling this job tomorrow. Thanks!

· Registered
226 Posts
Jeff, just wanted to say thank you so much for your write-up and giving me the confidence to tackle this myself. I did both fluids today, as well as the filter/pan, as it about to hit 120,000 miles and I’d like to keep this car indefinitely, so cheap insurance. Both the PDK and diff fluids looked really good considering the mileage; a nice honey brown. As far the labor it was mechanically easy enough, but very messy from the fluid filling standpoint, and removing the pan, which held much more fluid than you would’ve thought after draining for a long time. And the topping off until it comes out of the hole coupled with transfer pumps that wouldn’t stop pumping when I was trying to remove the hoses and replace the plugs... it was the messiest job I’ve ever done.

That said, the test drive was seamless and smooth with no hiccups and no issues, so that’s a good start! For the PDK pan bolts, what I did was start at 2 lb ft, / 24 in lb, and tested it on the existing bolts until I found a torque number that started to turn the bolt before clicking. That number ended up being 34 in lb. So I interpreted that as the initial torque setting of 24 in lb + “medium yield”. When reinstalling the new bolts, I torque then all to 24 in lb, then went back and gave then all a final setting of 34 in lb, less than 1 additional lb ft. No leaks so far, and it’s really not much additional rotation than 24 lb ft. I’m comfortable with it.

Thanks again for being the pioneer and sharing the knowledge! I’m off to the dealership in the morning for an alignment as I had to remove all the braces and support pan to replace the pan.

Cheers!

· Registered
226 Posts
I plan to check it first thing in the morning before I head to the dealership. I opened the fill plug this morning while the car was cold to see how much, if any, would come out. Sure enough, it dribbled out just a bit. So when it is cold again tomorrow morning, I will look for it to do the same. If it does not, I will top it off while cold. So far, everything that is supposed to be smooth is smooth (normal mode), and everything that is supposed to be crisp is fast and crisp (sport and sport plus). Nothing is slipping or clunking, so I believe it was a success!

· Registered
226 Posts
If the trash hasn’t been picked up by the time I get home, I’ll try to do that. I can tell you it is a fibrous, tightly woven, almost Brillo Pad-esque material. The new one is pure white, and the used one was a dark grey, with no real particles visible to the naked eye. When I wiped the magnets off, there was a shimmer on the paper towel, but no tangible pieces that were big enough to identify as a single piece of metal. Does that make sense?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts